How to Travel Safely With Students
When my oldest child left for his first week of sleep-away camp, I worried. I worried that he wouldn’t eat well, that he would get a sunburn or be sick, or that he wouldn’t change his underwear (turns out that I had good reason to worry about that!) As parents, we worry incessantly when our children are out of our protective reach. As you plan your group travel, it’s a strong possibility that you will be traveling with students- many of whom will be on their own for the first time ever! How to travel safely with students should be your first priority.
How to travel safely with students
It’s a bit daunting to realize you are now responsible for the health and well-being of a group of poor decision-makers- I mean, students- once you leave the relative safety of home or school. In an age of cell phones and instant communication, parents often know when something goes wrong before you might!
A solid safety plan and open communication are the keys to a successful student trip. We can’t guarantee that nothing bad will happen as you travel. After all, Mother Nature doesn’t always care that we have plans, buses occasionally break down, students get sick, and so on. The good news is that excellent safety resources are available to help inform you as you create a safety plan for student travel.
The Student Youth Travel Association is a superb place to start. This organization is committed to providing student and youth travelers with safe, rich and rewarding travel experiences. A Safety Resource Guide and Safety Tips Brochure are available to download at no charge and offer some thoughtful suggestions for student group travel planners.
As you are preparing your safety plan, you may want to consider including the following suggestions:
- Think about using a communication app like Remind to reach students without using personal numbers
As You Travel
- Cover any emergency evacuation procedures if traveling by motorcoach or airplane
- Encourage a teacher or chaperone to remain close to TSA in the event that a student requires personal screening during air travel
At the Hotel
- Distribute room keys to students in a private area away from the general public
- Decide where chaperones should be stationed throughout the property as students move about
- Clearly identify the areas of the property where students are permitted as well as expectations of behavior
- Provide clear instructions for security guards or nighttime chaperones (i.e. don’t ask students to open doors, etc.)
- Determine nightly room check procedures and communicate clearly with chaperones
- Provide emergency evacuation procedures to the group and establish a safe meeting place 300 feet from the building
- Emphasize the importance of communicating any illness, dizziness or bleeding to a chaperone (look out for your roommates!)
At the Venue
- Register your group at first aid upon arrival at amusement parks or other large venues
- Be sure to have a weather emergency plan available for outdoor attractions
- Steer clear of large exiting crowds (i.e.- stay seated until the bulk of a crowd clears out and exit the venue together)
- Ensure that students and chaperones know meeting locations and times
- To reiterate, these are SUGGESTIONS for establishing a student safety protocol. It would be wise to check with your district for any additional policies that may already exist.
Choose a Reputable Student Trip Planner
As you start your student trip planning, count on a company that knows how to travel safely with students. Kaleidoscope Adventures has a track record of success and the resources to handle whatever challenges may pop up.
Creating a clear safety plan and method of communication will go a long way in helping to alleviate the all-encompassing anxiety associated with student travel. Parents will breathe easier knowing there’s a strategy for dealing with the unknown and students will clearly understand the safety procedures. The only thing to left to worry about is that smelly laundry when they return!
Why Kaleidoscope Adventures?
As a leader in the student travel industry for 30+ years, Kaleidoscope Adventures exceeds expectations for student and performance group travel.
We’ll work with you to plan an exceptional travel experience and provide impeccable customer service from start to finishLearn More